Supervision Assesment
What are your strengths that are most helpful to staff (teachers)?
My strengths that are most helpful for my staff are: my experience, my sense of fairness, my value of simplicity, courage, loyalty and dedication. Since I was a teacher I understand the fears, demands that they face (children,program, personal life and parents), and stress of the job. I plan on conveying that in my approach when dealing with the staff and this will help them by feeling that I can relate to what they are facing. My experience as a teacher will be a reminder to me to have sympathy for my staff as I can recall the feelings of being a new teacher and one with experience. They are both at different stages and still need guidance and support just on different levels. With these thoughts in mind I will be able to use this to inspire my new teachers to have confidence in their abilities and inspire my experience teachers to always be creative and never become stagnate.
My sense of fairness will keep me objective in the times of crisis. I will use this strength to be the needed mediator and deliver a judgement not on emotions but what is right. My staff will be able to detect that their will be no favoritism and that I value them as individuals as well as a whole. They will always be recognized according to what they have done and not who has been here the longest. This will benefit them as they will feel an open policy and will be eager to seek my help before situations are out of control.
Simplicity is a value that I posses that I think will be useful to my staff as I understand that this is the best way to be in a center. They will be able to relieve the stress of having to live up to some complicated ideals on what a center should be like. We will be able to share this value as it is easy to understand that just keeping it simple you will always be right. When you go and adding more to the plan then is needed that's when things become stressful. So if you need to make a change to improve your classroom environment, do it as long as it is within the vision, procedures or policies of the center. They will see that it is not a lot of curves and twists to get to the root of the problem or concern. As teachers they have enough to do without having things made too complicated to do their jobs.
The strength of courage will give my staff the ability to set goals and pursue those goals with persistence. I will be able to show them how to I face problems head on and look for every possible answer to my problem including seeking outside advice. I hope this inspires my staff to do the same when it comes to their problems and feel that they can come to me because I will have the courage to deal with it and if I can not I will help them seek outside advice.
My staff will benefit from my loyalty as I will always seek to make the program a conducive place for everyone. My loyalty will always have me seeking what is best for us a whole and not just individuals. This will give the staff the confidence to know that what every changes are taking place will always benefit us all.
Staff in my program will benefit from my dedication to my field. I have weighed all the pros and cons of our field and have made a reasonable decision to pursue this career. So I try and learn everything that I can to do a good job at it. They will see that there is no little I's and big U's we each have a role to play and are expected to fulfill those roles to their potential. They can expect me to give the same amount of energy, in most cases more, as they do. This will help them to develop a feeling that what they do is appreciated. They will also benefit by knowing that I will look for the good in them and give the best in me. I will be able to recognize who fits where according to their dedication and if they are the best fit for our program which will eliminate frustration amongst the staff.
What additional skills would you like to gain?
To be an effective leader I think that I would like to gain more in all areas, there are always new techniques on everything from problem solving to organization. I need to keep sharp and never think that I have made it to the top because that's when there is no room for growth, I become stagnant, then I can not inspire others to continue to grow.

5 Comments:
That is also a skill I would like to gain is being an effective leader and learning more techniques to use at work. I know I still need a lot of experiece with that.
I really enjoyed your post. Its seems as though you are already a director. I would love to work for you you have alot of great qualities as a leader and I like how you are still striving for more. I think people work better when their superior is working along side them rather than just dictating and demanding them to do the work.
Hi Marcherie,
you were able to make your qualities very clear to your staff,therefore you have the foundation to be a great leader and the fact that you still open to learn more shows you are on your way.
Hi marcherie
I completely feel and understand what you wrote. As Directors we always need to remember where we come from and where we are heading, always taking in consideration our staff and how stressful their job can be. This is when as a director, jump in and guide them with their fears. It seems you have an A+ in respecting your staff by not showing favoritism and having your core values work.
Wow!!!
You are so right we always need room to grow, and keep in mind where we came from. That we will give us opportunities to keep our feet in the ground so we can lead future generations in the path that we love to do.
Hi Marcherie,
It seem as though your approach to leading and being in a supervisiing role is clearly centered around making your staff feel comfortable in their environment and as teachers. With your strengths of simplicity, courage, loyalty and dedication, you really show just how much your staff will benefit from how you implement each of your strenghths. You touched on how you will inspire your teachers to have confidence in their abilities and never become stagnant. A lot of times the teachers do need positive reinforcement to stay positive. When teachers are not encouraged or build up where they are the strongest, I believe that morale goes down and it causes the teachers to not be motivated as much in their job. That's also why your strength of simplicity is important because it allows you to put realistic expectations on your staff without the pressure of trying to focus on too many obligations at once. The fact that you want to show loyalty and dedication to your staff may give them the inspiration to do the same as they carry out their daily responsibilities. As far as the strengths you want to gain, growth is one that everyone should strive for. In whatever area that each person is the strongest, I believe they should use that as a stepping stool to grow in other areas. Stagnation keeps people in a box and we all should be looking to learn more, do more and inspire others to do more as well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home