Early Childhood Development

Child Development 39 online class for Spring 2009.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Core Values

I have a long lists of values that I think that as a director of a Child Development Program I must have in order to be an effective leader and to ensure my vision is brought to life. The following three are the ones from the top of the list.

  • Inclusiveness which keeps the program running smoothly. I think inclusiveness is an important value to have so the staff and director can complement each other and the staff can assist each other where things are not strong by giving feedback and enabling change to take place. If you don't work together than you have people doing their own things and not really getting anything accomplished. Everyone looks at things differently but if you can get them to understand the vision and direction of the program then they will put the energy into keeping things in order. They have to know that they are important to that vision as a staff member, that keeps everyone focus on carrying out the goals of the center. I also understand even though everyone is important their must be a leader to ensure that policies and goals are being carried out and I am that leader. I must first demonstrate that I value the staff by listening and considering others while still making the final decision in order for this value to be expressed.

  • Knowledge is very important to have and continue to seek. As a director I must always show that I consider this value important by being knowledgeable. I think this will bring about a level of trust and respect from the staff, parents and community. Which important for the program because if the staff trust and respect you they know that the decisions that you make are for the good of the center as a whole. Parents will be happy to leave their children at the program and feel comfortable that if a problem arises that you will be able to handle it. Community recognition is important to keep the center thriving for this is will your children will come from and if the center is known for its exemplary structure and support there will always be a want for your program.

  • Compassion is a must for me as a director. This helps me to stay focus on the reason I was interested in the field of Early Childhood Education in the first place. When I deal with a parent, staff member or a child that is difficult this value helps me to maintain my emotional balance. My compassion reminds me that I don't this for one person but for many. I remind myself that everyone has things to deal with but that I must be flexible without bending my integrity to help others. I am able to see more to each situation than just what is before me, allowing me to seek a solution to the problem instead of just getting upset or ignoring it.

These values are what I base all my interactions, my vision, leadership style, obligations to the program and those who benefit from the program on.

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM , Blogger silvia garrido mancia said...

Hi Marcherie
I aknowledge your values. They are so important to the children and their families. The trust that the famalies give us by leaving their children behind.The importance to become flexible with the children and accept them for who they are, and working together with one goal to benefit the children, families and the center.

 
At March 15, 2009 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Jean Boenish said...

Your director's value of inclusiveness could provide particular strength to your early childhood program if it identifies that teachers should be trusted and authorized to individually determine on their own how to fit their unique teaching methods into your program curriculum -- inclusively integrating the best of theirs and the best of yours so that your program naturally celebrates the enthusiasm and talents everyone offers. The program's stated policies and goals should thereby naturally be able to be followed by quality staff without intrusion or criticism by the director, but rather with appreciation by the director for an increase in the breadth of ways those goals can be achieved.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home